Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Great Math Mystery: What is a Fraction?

The best way to start learning about anything is to roll up your sleeves and start playing! To start our official study of fractions, all of the Navigators and Pioneers got together for Fraction Action with Ms Frances Fraction. The goal of the day was to solve the mystery, "What is a Fraction?" So, we began our investigation with four different investigative stations:
  • tiles
  • circles
  • pizzas and pies
  • dominoes
Clues that were overheard during the investigations:
  • Hey, these all fit here.
  • The numbers get bigger as the part gets smaller.
  • You can have a pizza with 1/2 of it pepperoni, 1/4 of it mushroom and 1/8 and 1/8 of it cheese.
  • Wanna bite of my hamburger?
  • I'm going to make up my own game.
  • The number on the top is the numerator. The number on the bottom is the denominator. 
  • Does that mean it dominates?
  • Look, 1/2 = 2/4 = 3/6
  • I see a pattern!
  • Oh, and it takes 2 halves to make a whole. And 3 thirds to make a whole.
  • And 12 twelfths to make a whole!
  • Look at this fancy design I made.
  • Your turn to spin!
  • Everything looks green!
  • I'm going to make a pie next. Want to go on a picnic with me?
  • I've never played dominoes before.
  • Math is fun! Can we do this everyday?














We're getting close to solving the mystery of "What is a fraction?" Next topic: "What is a common denominator?"


No comments:

Post a Comment